In retrospect, this lesson would make a good start-of-year icebreaker; it’d simultaneously check how much math vocabulary the students remember.
This is a bit customized for my own school and classroom.
Find a counterexample to each statement.
1. All sports have a score that starts at 0 and goes up.
2. No US state has only four letters in its name.
3. Nobody in this classroom has more than 2 brothers or sisters.
4. No poster in this classroom has the word “joy” on it.
5. All the students in this class are 17 years old.
6. None of the food served at lunch tastes good.
7. Intersecting circles must intersect at only one point.
8. No even numbers are prime.
9. Nobody in this classroom owns a dog.
10. All quadrilaterals are squares.
11. No Pueblo students like to draw.
12. All TV shows are set in Manhattan.
13. No movie stars are talented.
14. Nobody has white hair.
15. All mammals have four legs.
16. Lines never intersect.
17. Two triangles cannot be congruent.
18. Two triangles cannot be similar.
19. No teacher at Pueblo has an interesting class.
20. No student in this class has a birthday in October.
Filed under: Education